Wednesday, May 2, 2007

Mother-works

(why I am telling you my business)

I am a wife of nearly 8 years, a mother of five, and a Roman Catholic convert. All of which is to say, that most of my vocation is about telling you, someone, anyone what they ought to be about and what plain isn't their concern. This blog is about my business, my life, and mostly my opinions. I opine; therefore I blog.

Mothers work.

That is a statement, not a grammatical error. I will not take the time or space here to chastise the ignorant with my pile of laundry or stacks of dirty dishes or soggy hinneys. Most women know that someone has to do this stuff. All I will add to the conversation right now is this: to raise your own children is more noble than any other occupation around save maybe holy orders.

Our work cover the bounds of the myriad of the acts of mercy. For you who are not familiar with
the traditional enumeration of the corporal works of mercy is as follows:
  • To feed the hungry;
  • To give drink to the thirsty;
  • To clothe the naked;
  • To harbour the harbourless;
  • To visit the sick;
  • To ransom the captive;
  • To bury the dead

The spiritual works of mercy are:

  • To instruct the ignorant;
  • To counsel the doubtful;
  • To admonish sinners;
  • To bear wrongs patiently;
  • To forgive offences willingly;
  • To comfort the afflicted;
  • To pray for the living and the dead.
I will have to leave you now so that I can go back to that work.


No comments: