Tuesday, August 23, 2011

We Had An Earthquake.

SO, Mr. Flavius has a favorite story he likes to tell about me.

Once upon a time in a land far, far away the Motherworks-Flavius household visited the Southern Flavius's.  A riotously good time was had by all and everyone played until they were very tired and prone to being naughty.

All of the grownups in the land were also tired and to avoid being too grumpy sent the children away to their chambers for some peace and quiet.  Only the children were very naughty and and very noisy.  They stomped and the shouted and they dropped heavy things from high places until the whole house shook with their calamitous racket.
Mr. Flavius, knowing the sensitive disposition of the the Southern Flavius's (having never actually having raised any children themselves) hurried and hushed the children until all was peaceful again.  But only a short time later, a new sound like an angry, fire breathing monster filled the entire house.  So loud was the sound of this infernal respiration that it seemed to come from everywhere at once.

Unfortunately, I was stuck nursing a new baby and could not go see what was the matter.  So I raised my voice to make certain that all the noisy children could here me over this new and terrible sound and I said in my loudest mothering tone I could muster, "CHILDREN!  WHAT IN THE WORLD ARE YOU DOING?  IT SOUNDS LIKE YOU HAVE A DRAGON UP THERE!"

And that is when Mrs. Southern Flavius said, "It's me.  I'm ironing."

The alternative title for this little vignette is, "How We Know Mommy Does Not Iron."

SO, today we were leaving the house to go run some errands, when Mr. Flavius came running out the door.

"What are the children doing?  It shook the whole house!"

"Nothing.  What?  Why?"

"the whole house shook."

Apparently, we had an earthquake.  Only I hadn't eaten since this morning and I was feeling pretty shaky already so I missed our great adventure.  Anyway, as our neighbor said, if it's not in the news just check Facebook first.  Sure enough status updates across the Mid Atlantic and lower New England reported the unexpected terremoto from Virginia.  


Always something new happening here in Johnstown.  Never a dull moment.

No comments: